· It is also recommended that your deployed kace agents be at version 5.3.53177
· Copy a backup off of your K1000 ()
· Enable ssh in the Settings > Security Settingssection. This will provide an easier path to recovery if needed. You can turn it back off following a successful upgrade.
· Give yourself plenty of time to upgrade. The upgrade process can, in theory, take several hours. Be prepared to wait until it completes or call technical support if you think anything has gone wrong.
· Review the list of issues from the release notes (Settings > Server Maintenance > Edit Mode > Check for Upgrade > View Release Notes )
· Review the list of issues from support's notes (below)
· Turn off any tasks that may be deploying a 5.1 agent. Examples:
o GPOs (Group Policies)
o Login Scripts
o Agent Provisioning configurations from the K1000 Appliance. If you have ORGs enabled check every ORG
· Turn off metering or obtain the K1-12213 patch from support and apply it immediately after the upgrade
o Go to -> -> -> -> = unchecked
· Obtain the software update by:
o Automatically: going to Settings > Server maintenance > Edit Mode > Check for Upgrade
o : Since we do slow roll-outs of the server updates, you may or may not see and option to upgrade from the server. If so, see the manual option.
Additional Pre-install Recommendations for a Speedy upgrade
These steps are optional but are recommended if your priority is for a faster, more reliable upgrade. In some cases technical support will recommend these steps. If you are not sure then contact support as you normally would.
· Change the IP address of the K1000 just before an upgrade.
This will prevent any clients or users connecting to the K1000 while you upgrade it. This will greatly speed up the time it takes to shutdown all of the clients during the upgrade because they will already be disconnected
· Turn off Agent log retention:
On some boxes the agent logs can be quite large. If you do not turn off agent log retention this could cause the upgrade to take a long time. If you do turn it off then you will only lose the agent logs that are currently stored, these logs are automatically purged at a certain size threshold anyway. New logs can be generated if you re-enable this option. To see and of what logs will be deleted go to the inventory detail of any machine and expand the "log" section there.
Note that if you are on a 1200 you need to do this operation separately in each Organization.
o Go to Agent settings and set to
o Click (this step is a delete and might take a while if your logs are large)
o Go to Agent settings and set to
· Check the current logs for any errors that might cause upgrade problems. This is the list of logs to examine for any errors.
Update Log (viewable at Settings -> Logs -> Updates )
Server Errors (viewable at Settings -> Logs -> Server Errors )
K1000 Log (viewable at Settings -> Logs -> K1000 Log )
Basic Upgrade Steps
1. Back up your database and files. For instructions, see the .
2. Log in to the K1000 Administrator Interface.
3. If the Organization component is enabled on the appliance, select in the drop-down list in the top-right corner of the page, then click . Otherwise, click . The page appears.
4. Click the tab. The section displays the current version and indicates whether a new release is available.
5. Click (at the top left).
to apply the update.
· The update begins. A 60 second countdown appears while the upgrade is unpacked
· The main K1000 web service is shutdown and a new one is started on port 52231. You will be automatically redirected to http://k1000:52231/upgrade. The normal administrator Interface is unavailable until the update is complete.
· Progress appears in the browser at this temporary URL AND in the K1000 terminal (console) line Interface.
! The temporary URL will show the upgrade progress with the most recent information at the top !
· The appliance restarts automatically when the update is complete. See post upgrade steps
· Back up your database and files. For instructions, see the .
· Log in to the K1000 Administrator Interface.
· If the Organization component is enabled on the appliance, select in the drop-down list in the top-right corner of the page, then click . Otherwise, click . The page appears.
· Click the tab.
· Click (at the top left).
· in the section click on the button
· Navigate to the file you downloaded (see section above)
to apply the update.
o The update begins.
o A window will appear while the kbin is uploaded.
o A new screen will load with a 60 second countdown appears while the upgrade is unpacked
After the upgrade the K1000 will automatically reboot. The upgrade is only successful if you see the following message in the logs, either during the upgrade or after it reboots, and you do not see any errors
[Wed Oct 11 8:12:49 PDT 2010] [notice] K1000 Server Update 5.4.76847 Complete.
[Wed Oct 11 8:12:49 PDT 2010] [notice] Preparing to restart the KBOX Server.
If you have access to the system console you will see this at the login prompt:
1. Accept the EULA and login to the K1000.
2. Check the update log for a successful upgrade (Settings -> Logs -> Updates)
3. Trigger a backup and copy the backups off of the K1000
1. Go to server maintenance and run the nightly backup script.
2. Wait until backup is done.
3. Download your K1000 database and store in a safe place.
4. Plan to test and upgrade some K1000 client machines to the latest version as well. This is a separate step. Any available agent will be reported to you after the upgrade at Settings > Server Maintenance > Edit Mode > Automatic K1000 Agent Bundle Updates
5. Review the List of
If you have problems during or after upgrade, please contact support as you normally would.
K1000 Systems Management Appliance
5.4.76848, 5.3.47927, 5.3.45497, 5.3.45496
Best Practices, How To, Configuration, Best Practices, How To, Configuration
Erstellt am: 3/21/2014
Letzte Aktualisierung am: 5/27/2015