I get a "You have no Oracle clients installed" or "No OCI.DLL found" error message when connecting or launching.
There is no Oracle client installed on the machine..
If there is client installed, the type may not match the version of Toad installed.
The client is not properly configured and the Environment Variable Path is not directing to the client.
Toad for Oracle 11.5.1 and older only supports 32-bit Oracle clients.
Toad for Oracle 11.6 and newer have both a 64-bit and a 32-bit version of the installer. A 64-bit Oracle client is required for a 64-bit version installer and a 32-bit Oracle client is required for a 32-bit version installer.
The latest version of Toad for Oracle can be downloaded at:
Check to make sure there is an Oracle client installed on your machine. If there is none, install a client.
If there is an Oracle client installed on the machine, verify the bit version (32 or 64) of Toad installed and the version of Oracle client installed. The bit version of Oracle client needs to match with the version of Toad installed.
1) Look for your OCI.DLL file in your computer and copy the location path i.e. C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\BIN.
2) Right-Click your My Computer | Properties | Advanced Tab | Environment Variables button.
3) Under ‘System Variables’ at lower half of screen, highlight ‘Path’ | click Edit.
4) Check to see if your client path is listed in the Variable Value list. If it is, make sure it is listed at the very front. If it is not, continue with the steps below.
5) Under ‘Variable Value:’, go to the very beginning of the existing entry and paste the path you copied earlier.
6) Add a semi-colon (;), to seperate it from the next path in the list, and then click OK.
7) Start Toad and re-test
You installed an Oracle Client 10g version in a Windows 64-bit machine. There is an issue with the Oracle Client 10g version on a Windows 64-bit machines where 3rd party Oracle Tools like Toad for Oracle will not be able to see the client. Possible resolutions for this are:
- Install Toad in “C:\Quest Software\” folder instead of the default “C:\Program Files (x86)\” folder.
- Install and use Oracle Client 11g version instead. See the download link below for the client we recommend.
Toad for Oracle
9.7.2, 9.6.1, 8.6.1, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 12.7, 12.0, 11.6.1, 11.6, 11.5.1, 11.5, 11.0, 10.6.1, 10.6, 10.5.1, 10.5, 10.1, 10.0
Troubleshooting, Troubleshooting, Troubleshooting
Created on: 2/16/2008
Last Update on: 6/18/2015